US Tennis Open Championship
The first US Open was played in 1881 and it has evolved from an exclusive men's singles tournament to a two-week sports and entertainment extravaganza where more than 600 male and female tennis professional players will compete.
The first US National Singles Championship for men was held at the Newport Casino in Newport, Rhode Island, the beginning of a 34-year run for Newport as the centre of tennis in the United States. In the first few years of the competition it was a men only singles competition. It was six years later, in 1887 the first official US Women's National Singles Championship was held at the Philadelphia Cricket Club, followed by women's doubles in 1889. The US National Men's Doubles Championship did not start until 1900.
The US Mixed Doubles Championship officially began in 1892 and was played in conjunction with the women's singles and women's doubles until 1921, when it was combined with the men's doubles program of the US National Championships
In 1968 all five events were merged into the US Open which was held at the West Side Tennis Club in Forest Hills, New York. The combined tournament was open to professionals for the first time. In that year, 96 men and 63 women entered the event, and prize money totalled $100,000 which now equates to about $625,336.
The 1970?s US Open became the first of the Grand Slam tournaments to use a tiebreak at the end of a set. The US Open is also the only Grand Slam that continues to use the tiebreak in the 5th set. All the other three grand slams play it out with service games in the 5th set.
The US Open was originally played on grass until Forest Hills switched to Har-Tru clay courts in 1975 for three years. In 1978, the event moved north from Forest Hills to its current home at nearby Flushing Meadows and the surface changed again, to the current DecoTurf.